Monday, April 1, 2013

Ridley
Metroid

Evil Factor: Will stop at nothing to kill Samus
Insanity: Highly murderous
Powers: Fire breath, uncanny ability to survive
Occupation: One of the most powerful Space Pirate leader, however he is not the supreme leader

Description: Personally I have no idea what Ridley is supposed to be, is he a Dragon or is he a pterodactyl? As far as I can recall, Ridley never spoke a single word throughout the games and to me he seems to live to torment Samus Aran. There are also several different versions of Ridley, there are Meta Ridley, Mecha Ridley, Omega Ridley, Ridley-X, and Little Birdie (the baby version of the cloned Ridley in Other M). He even appeared as a boss in Super Smash Bros Brawl as both his normal form and Meta form. He killed Samus's mother when she took a blow for Samus when she tried to befriend him, using the philosophies taught to her by the Chozo elder Old Bird when she was a child that befriending and understanding others can solve life's problems. Her father then sacrificed himself by setting his vessel ablaze, the attack wounded Ridley but he survived, however his crew did not. This dragon-thing has made an appearance in nearly every Metroid game save for three and is a major boss in all of them. Samus and Ridley both have deep grudges for each other but Samus had been shown to be in a way, afraid of Ridley (I only remember her reaction to him in Other M however, not the other games). Anyway I was expecting Ridley at some point in Other M, and saw this cute little critter called Little Birdie and at first you can't tell that it is baby Ridley until it stares down Samus in an ominous way - when I first saw that I was relatively unnerved after a while into the game I began to piece things together, and the puzzle wasn't complete until I heard that some nimrod cloned Ridley and saw that Little Birdie evolved into that large reptile and mauled Samus during a fight. After Ridley escaped the boss fight with him as an adult, I kind of thought that I would fight him again later but realized that I was wrong. Later on you see a cut scene of a wounded Ridley right before he is attacked by an unidentified monster (revealed to be either the Metroid Queen or one of her many babies), he didn't even have a chance to move, he was frozen in place from when he roared at the monster. Now I know that only a few weapons can even kill Metroid's, but I always thought Ridley would at least be able to put up a fight with a Metroid should one ever attack him. Ridley fights tend to be very good from my perspective, however Ridley is just that kind of boss that you have to expect in a game so it shouldn't be surprising if he returns in another game. I'm really curious though  as to how he can lead Space Pirates - can he actually talk? Or do they understand what his roars mean? Or does he just choose to be silent around Samus? That is one unsolved question that I don't care if it is ever answered.


 How could something that looks this cuddly be
something so ferocious and reptilian?
Here is why
 
 
Dr. Evil
 

No comments:

Post a Comment