Monday, April 1, 2013

Naval Piranha
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Evil: Wants to eat Yoshi and Baby Mario
Insanity: She is a plant
Powers: Accelerated growth, size
Occupation: Piranha Plant

 
Description: I did some research for this boss and discovered that Naval was actually a she, which wasn't revealed until years after her first appearance. When I finally reached Castle 3-8, I was prepared for the worse from a Piranha Plant boss, I was just unprepared for the sudden change of boss themes to a unique and epic retroish one. When I first fought her I  didn't realize that Naval was going to be a waterborne enemy, I should have realized it though but I figured that it was just a name and had nothing to do with her battle, anyway when I saw her rise from the water and the special boss theme played, I probably would have said "HOLY SHIT, this shit just got REAL!" but I was young and I never heard anyone say that until much later. Naval is by no means hard unless your reflexes are slow and you think the boss is unpredictable when there are only three attacks, two of them are rams, the other is spitting up those spore plants that hop around. Naval's weak spot is its bulging navel - its bellybutton and if you made it here, you probably saw that tutorial block that tells you that you can bounce eggs off of water with a ricochet. Naval was hands down the best boss in the entire game and at the time it was the most epic Mario boss that I've encountered, we'll see the most epic one later in our list. There is another Piranha plant similar to her in Paper Mario, a Lava Piranha Plant, which as you can guess is of the opposite element. In the German version, Naval was called Audrey - the same name of the plant from Little shop of Horrors, and is in a way similar to the Godzilla monster, Biolante, but this may be coincidental. There is a cheat where you can kill her before the fight even begins, leaving Kamek the Magikoopa saying OH MY!
                                    
Dr. Evil
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment